MACRONUTRIENT STATUS AND PHYSICO-CHEMICAL PROPERTIES OF SOILS AROUND THE GAS FLARE SITE AT OYIGBO IN RIVERS STATE, NIGERIA
Asian Journal of Current Research,
This work assessed the impact of gas flaring on soils surrounding the gas flare stack at Oyigbo in Rivers State, Nigeria. Soil samples were collected at 10m, 50m, and 100m from the flare point and analysed for physico-chemical properties, including primary and secondary soil macronutrients, such as nitrogen, phosphorus, calcium, and magnesium. The results obtained from the investigation of the soil properties were all within the set benchmark values of EGASPIN-DPR. A One-way Analysis of Variance (ANOVA) showed that there were no significant differences (p < 0.05) in the concentration of the physico-chemical parameters and nutrients of both surface and sub-surface soils, irrespective of their distances from the flare point. For example, total organic carbon (TOC) in the soil within 10m of the gas flare point was 1.4±0.02% at surface level and 1.4±0.01% at sub-surface level. At a distance of 50m from the flare point, the total organic carbon (TOC) recorded a mean value of 1.4±0.02%, while a mean of 1.4±0.01% was recorded at a distance of 100m from the flare point. Although flare particulates could bring about acid deposition on the surrounding soils, which would decrease soil pH, the results obtained in this work showed a reverse trend of a slightly lower pH at a further 100 m distance compared to the pH range obtained 10 m away from the flare point. This trend could be attributed to anthropogenic activities, which cannot occur near the scorching temperature of the flared gas, which exceeds 1300 oC. This might have encouraged the acidification of the soils further away from the flare point.
- Gas flaring
- physico-chemical properties
- soil macronutrients
How to Cite
Alani RO, Akinrinade DN, Adaeze J. Impact of gas flaring on surface and underground water: a case study of Anieze and Okwuibome areas of Delta State, Nigeria. Environ Monit Assess. 2020;192:166.
Rowell MS. The effect of crude oil spill in soils: A review literature. In: Toogood JA. (ed). The Reclamation of Agricultural Soils After Oil Spill, Part 1, Edmonton, Canada. 1977; pp 1-33.
Smith B, Stachowisk M, Velkenbugh E. Cellular process limiting leaf growth in plants under hypoxic root stress. J. Exptl. Bot. 1989;40:89-94.
Ite AE, Ibok UJ. Gas flaring and venting associated with petroleum exploration and production in the Nigeria’s Niger Delta. American Journal of Environmental Protection. 2013;1(4):70-7.
Dung EJ, Bombom LS, Agusomu TD. The effects of gas flaring on crops in the Niger Delta, Nigeria. GeoJournal. 2008 Dec;73(4):297-305.
De Bock M, de Beeck MO, De Temmerman L, Guisez Y, Ceulemans R, Vandermeiren K. Ozone dose–response relationships for spring oilseed rape and broccoli. Atmospheric Environment. 2011;45(9):1759-65.
Chuwah C, van Noije T, van Vuuren DP, Stehfest E, Hazeleger W. Global impacts of surface ozone changes on crop yields and land use. Atmospheric Environment. 2015;106:11-23.
Ugochukwu CN, Ertel J. Negative impacts of oil exploration on biodiversity management in the Niger De area of Nigeria. Impact Assessment and Project Appraisal. 2008;26(2):139-47.
Sitch S, Cox PM, Collins WJ, Huntingford C. Indirect radiative forcing of climate change through ozone effects on the land-carbon sink. Nature. 2007 Aug;448(7155):791-4.
Osuji LC, Egbuson EJ, Ojinnaka CM. Chemical reclamation of crude-oil-inundated soils from Niger Delta, Nigeria, Chem. Ecol. 2005;21(1):1-10.
EGASPIN-DPR. Department of Petroleum Resources. Environmental Guidelines and standards for the petroleum industry in Nigeria (EGASPIN). Department of Petroleum resources, Ministry of Petroleum and Mineral Resources, Lagos; 2018.
Ford GW, Martin JJ, Rengasamy P, Boucher SC, Ellington A. Soil sodicity in victoria. Soil Research. 1993;31(6):869-909.
Atuma MI, Ojeh VN. Effect of Gas flaring on soil and cassava productivity in Ebedei, Ukwuani Local Government Area, Delta State, Nigeria. Journal of Environmental Protection. 2013;4:1054-1066.
Abstract View: 167 times
PDF Download: 10 times